2012-13 School Year

Home
Performing Arts
Advanced Performing Arts
Literature and History In Film
Class Information
Performing Arts
2009-2010
Tori Lee Scoles
Room:177
Phone: 209-499-9363
email: tscoles@patterson.k12.ca.us


Syllabus For 2009-2010

Needed:
1 inch three ring binder
Loose leaf lined paper
Highlighters
Black or Blue Pen
#2 Pencil
Binder Organizers

The Goal
This class will be designed to heighten your awareness of the language of Theatre and other performing arts and to make the connections between Performing Arts and the world at large. Such connections include theatre’s influence on History, Science, Mathematics, Literature, historical political events, and technology. In this class the aim is to help you understand the amount of work which goes into creating a performance, to allow the student to appreciate that work, and for the student to start creating opinions about how this work affects the world at large; with the understanding not all students are inclined to act but asked to take chances and risks.

Assignments
There will be four big projects requiring teams during the year. The first Understanding a Play: the student team will be assigned a play for the year with this play the individual student will do a five foldbook briefly covering what the play is about, who the author is and the historical impact of this play. The second will be a scale model of the PHS auditorium and set of your play. The third Costume Design Portfolio will be a binder of clothing designed for the characters of your play. The fourth, a project called Soundscapes, will require the student teams to make a scene involving only sounds. This scene will be preformed in class.
First Final will be a scene (picked by instructor) to be performed in class. Second Final will be a monologue done in class. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS to in class performances this is a Performing Arts class.
Students should also expect text work, quizzes and tests through out the year as well as some homework. Most work will be done in class except the three big projects and the Soundscapes project which are team oriented projects. All work, including group work, must be turned in on time, THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.

Rules of Conduct



I expect each of my students to be to class on time. If you are not their one day it is your responsibility to check on what we have done or any work you need to make up. If there is a group project due in class, do not let your group members down. Please remember…

1. Respect your instructor and peers.

2. Absolutely No cell phone, I-pod or any other electronic device which hinders the learning process under any circumstance!!!

3. Wear appropriate clothing.

4. No chewing gum or eating during class.

5. Come prepared; Three Ringed Binder, and pen/pencil/highlighter.

6. There will be homework.

7. Be prepared for the sake of the instructor, yourself and your peers.

My child and I understand we are expected to follow the rules of Miss Scoles’ Performing arts class:
Parent/Guardian (print):________________________________
Students (Print): __________________________________
Preferred mailing address: _____________________________
__________________________________
Preferred telephone number: ______________________
E-mail address: __________________________________
Parent/Guardian (signature): _____________________________
Student (Signature): _________________________________



Saturday, August 2, 2014

Searching for Sylvia

My goat is named Sylvia.

If you are a theatre person you will laugh knowingly, having got the joke. If you are not you may think it's cute that I named my goat. If you are a farmer you will look at me strangely and know I am not a farmer. This is okay.

It was one winter. I had moved into my grandmothers house in the country. It was a very old house, at least by Californian standards. It is out in the country and the weeds had grown so high it had blown out the moter on my electric lawn mower. So what did I do while my then boyfriend was at work?
I bought a goat.
She was small and cute and cost me $35.

"Look," I said when he got home. We were in this funny stage, so anything new I threw at him could mean disaster.

"Did you buy that?" He questioned.

"Yes. A lawn mower!"

He had that look on he always got when I had gone too far.

You should never leave me alone for too long, I thought. I'm libel to do something which seems like a good idea; and then we get a goat.

No comments: